We made it through the week. Almost. And hopefully with another 24-hours on antibiotics I’ll start to feel slightly human again. I can’t think of a better excuse for some bullets:
-I bought myself another iTunes pick-me-up. Currently on heavy repeat is the soundtrack to “Up in the Air.” As I said, the movie was eh, but the music, I love. It’s fitting my mood of late. I’m not feeling so "Glee"-like right now. I’m not sad, just feeling a little introspective. It’s gray. It’s January. It's still coldish. It’s time for folky-pop and Elliot Smith.
-I'd like to welcome some new readers in Gretna, Louisiania who have recently been introduced to the wonderful world of blogging. Hello!
-Leo has been doing this strange thing lately. He will spill something (yogurt, apple sauce) on the table or dribble it on his pants, or he’ll make a tiny tear of the page on a book. The most maddening recent incident came when I was went to put Ellie down for her nap and was gone all of two minutes. I came back and found Leo had taken all the tissues out of a full box of tissues. I was...frustrated (to put it mildly). He’s five (OK, I know, he's not really five in Down syndrome years, but still...). He is so smart. I thought we were passed this kind of stuff.
After he spills/destroys, he then comes straight to me and says (and signs) “Sorry.” It was really beginning to get on my nerves and he was clearly doing these things for attention. But he would do these things (mostly) when I was sitting right there in the room with him so I couldn’t figure out why he would need more attention.
Erin and I discussed it. As we talked about it, I decided that I think what he’s doing is he’s attempting to have an interaction of sorts. A conversation, if you will. Sure it’s not exactly constructive, but it’s definitely an exchange. He says “sorry,” I talk to him about what he did and why it was wrong, then we close with a hug. Leo can’t have the kind of back and forth exchanges we have with Ellie, so I think this is his version. And also, an excuse for attention. And a hug. It doesn’t make what he’s doing any less annoying but it does help me understand it a bit better. Erin’s idea is that I don’t make a big deal and certainly don’t close with the hug. It's not like I don't hug him all the time, for other good reasons or for no reason at all. I guess you really can't get too many hugs.
-Last night we had ice cream at the adorable mom and pop shop near our house. There was a sign on the door that read “Wan’t great pizza?” GAH! The burdon of the English major. It actually provided me with good laugh.
-Don’t tell me if this post has a typo. I’ve never been the world’s greatest grammarian but I feel pretty confident about my mastery of apostrophe's. Ha! Kidding. Apostrophes. Ah, English major humor...
I’ll leave you with some sunshine. I think we could all use some.
4 comments:
Ok that grammar error is just ridiculous. My mom is a teacher, she insists that she taught apostrophes in 2nd grade. I understand if you can't do algebra, that didn't make sense but really, 2nd grade stuff you can't keep straight? What the hell people!
I always Wan't Pizz'a! hahaha.
Sorry, couldn't resist. The worst is their/they're/there. BLARGH. 5th grade. We sung a song to remember.
"their/they're/there, their/they're/there are very different words. You need to know the spelling to show what you have heard.
t-h-e-r-e will show you where to go
t-h-e-i-r shows the owner/ now you knoooow
t-h-e-y-'-r-e is two words joined as one
Think of it as they are now you know that you have won!"
Thank you Ms Levy. 5th grade baby.
i PROMISE that it's a phase. but it doesn't seem that way right now! i know. the bad part: the phase will only lead to a new, equally frustrating phase. sophie is now asking, "WHAT?!" constantly -- when she knows darn well.
Post a Comment