Friday, May 21, 2010

Ready

I am ready to be home.

By Thursday night, I am just done. We all are.

And last night was one of those nights. Left work late. Hell commute. Didn’t arrive at daycare until almost 7 p.m.

Cue the mom guilt.

I know Leo and Ellie can’t tell time yet (thank goodness).

Come to think of it, Leo can sort of tell time. Well, crap. So much for that theory.

Last night it was only 30-45 minutes later than I usually get there (which looks a lot worse in black and white, actually). And to be honest, the kids were fine. When I arrived they were sitting on little stools listening to a book. I got the requisite squeals of joy and appreciation when I arrived, which is always nice. Of course the teacher looked less than thrilled, since she had to work late. But it wasn’t like I was late because I was hanging out at a bar or getting a pedicure.

It is heartening, how resilient my kids are. They were fine last night, everything just happened about thirty minutes later than it usually does.

Hmm...think Ellie was tired?

I wish I could say I was as resilient and forgiving. Even after we were safely home I was still stewing about the stressful trip. Nobody in New York City knows how to walk properly, at least in the Times Square area. They need to get out of my way when I’m headed to the bus station to get home to pick up my kids. When I’m running late and trying to get home I’m like a mama bear who won’t let any obstacle stand in my way. Walk faster! Get your darn briefcase out of the aisle, I gotta get by! I mean, I’m nice and all, but not the world’s most patient person when I have to get to my hooligans. I have my priorities.

After nights like last one, all I want to do is put on elastic waist pants and a tank top, lock the doors, open the windows and let the warm spring (more like early summer) air breeze through the house. I want to take my babies and hold them close, smell their sticky little necks and cuddle with them while we read the original Shrek (Ellie’s current favorite) or watch the Cat in the Hat DVD one. More. Time.

I want to lean back on the Adirondack chair on the deck and cheer Leo and Ellie on as they build their twentieth outdoor hayride.

I want to make waffles and cut another bowl of strawberries and dole out ice pops and vacuum and sweep and do all the laundry that’s piled up all week. And when I’m not doing that I want to sing along to “Bushel and a Peck” (which for some inexplicable reason they both love--Ellie calls it the "neck" song) and the Glee soundtracks (which I’m forcing the kids to learn to love). They WILL love musical theater, dammit.

And while Monday morning may have me skipping to work with a sigh of relief, right now, I’m ready for the weekend. In case there was any kind of question.

1 comment:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Take one deep breath then smile. I sure remember those days. I hope you have a great relaxing weekend. You deserve it!!!