Monday, December 6, 2010

More More More

Yesterday we made a gingerbread house. From the second I came in the door Saturday afternoon with the box (a kit from Trader Joe’s—two thumbs way up, by the way), Leo and Ellie were both crazed about when we were going to make it.

This was the first year the two of them did it together. I realized we skipped it last year (not sure why) and the year before Ellie was napping (I know this from the pictures because she was noticeably absent). I went back and forth about getting two houses, worried there would be some construction/candy placement bickering but decided to just get one and lo and behold it was the first of many Christmas miracles, Leo and Ellie were both little angels throughout the whole process. Amazing what a little (OK a lot) of candy can do for a mood on a Sunday morning, isn’t it?

Well, they were mostly angels.
DSC03925
While Ellie was bent on snacking, Leo was more interested in helping organize the candy. And when I say organize, I mean spill candy corn everywhere. Ah my boy adores good old cause and effect. His little “accidents” are always followed by profuse apologies though so I can never really get mad.

And believe it or not, I remained calm even without Bailey’s in my coffee. With holiday music playing on the iPod, the Christmas tree lights twinkling in the background and the sun streaming in the kitchen window and these two little scrumptious people, how could I be anything but happy? Even if half the candy was at some point, on the floor.

Ellie is a Candy Fiend, as I’m sure most three year olds are. Leo, meanwhile, is probably the only child I have ever met who, while making a house comprised of candy, asks for grapes. I’m not kidding.

I don’t think Ellie could quite believe it when, every time she asked if she could try a gummie bear or an M&M, I answered “Sure!” and “Why not?” and “Go for it!” At one point she had two small lollipops AND a piece of gum in her mouth at the same time. I mean really, how many times a year do we build gingerbread houses? And yes, I even gave her her own bowl of candy corn. She was, well, it was pure bliss. By the end of it I swear she had sugar in her eyelashes.

I read on this site a recommendation to use up old Halloween candy on gingerbread houses, which was genius, I thought. The kit I bought came with candy but not nearly enough. I’m of the belief that when it comes to gingerbread houses, more is definitely more. That site also used a cupcake pan to hold the candy which also worked out great (kept candy close together, minimized spillage (ahem) and I didn’t have to wash or use fourteen tiny bowls).
DSC03935
DSC03973
And now, our pretty little house is living on our kitchen table for all to admire.

If I could only figure out how to keep Ellie from eating it.
DSC03971
I mean just look at her, plotting her next move.
Oh well. Maybe I'll just pretend not to notice.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

That is so awesome!! Glad they worked together! Very cool looking house, too! G and L are two peas in a pod--she doesn't like candy and would SURELY be asking for grapes, too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Great job guys! Kayli too really doesn't like sweets - no chocolate, no cake - the only candy she enjoys to a degree are things like gummy bears! Of course popsicles (Edy's fruit only) are exempt.

Heather said...

Girls love candy, it can't be helped - haha! And Leo asking for grapes totally cracked me up, although I agree with him - not much better than some good old red seedless. :)