Friday, February 18, 2011

Worth a Read (Or a Re-Read)

Have you read this?

"I'm Not a Saint, Just a Parent."

Cate reminded me about it and I just reread it and yes, I'm a big ball of hormones right now but wow. It's beautiful. There are so many passages worth repeating. This might be my favorite:

On being a parent:

"Some bits are hard, some bits are easy, some bits are fun, some bits are a frightful bore. That’s true of life with Eddie [writer's son with DS], it’s also true of life with Joe ["typical" child]. But you don’t even begin to break it up into categories: it is the one endless, complex business of being a parent. You don’t gointo parenthood to make sure that the benefits outweigh the deficits: you go into it out of — brace yourself but no other word will do — love."

Check it out.

2 comments:

krlr said...

I hadn't actually - thank you. Will refrain from overwhelming temptation to cite whole paragraphs in your comments section, so will just forward to my family instead.

Anonymous said...

It's a stunning bit. Thanks for reminding me of it- perfect timing in my book.