Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Punk Rock Penguins, Palaces and Out of Breath (Still)

Hello!

I hope no one out there is losing faith in me. I’m still here. We’re still here. So, the goings on, in no particular order:

Leo’s been busy exploring a new medium.
penguin
(That’s paper mache/feather/Elmer’s glue top baby penguin, for the uninitiated). This might be the best art project he’s ever done (sculpture-wise, anyway). Not that I’m biased, of course.

Erin wisely bought Ellie this, which Ellie immediately dubbed her “Palace.”
Elliesbedcastle
I don't think "she loves it" begins to cover her feelings for it. This photo doesn’t really do it justice but, she does look quite pleased with herself, I think you’ll agree. Kids are really hard sometimes, but also? Incredibly easy to please.

It doesn’t always lead to this, but I will say that the closer she gets to turning four, the more, dare I say reasonable (afraid to even write this down, trust me!) she becomes.
sleepingellie
And it couldn’t have happened sooner, because believe me when I say by 8:45 p.m., I am just DONE. Also, I will never tire of photographing my children when they're sleeping. I don't know why, there's just something about it.

Don't get me wrong. She's still a challenging one. Nearly everything is a Discussion. Her latest thing is to tell me that I've "hurt her feelings." This is commonly said when I do something like, oh I don't know, deny her M&Ms.

One of the things I love about living with little ones is the little “scenes” I find, around the house.
bunkbed
Like this one.

We seem to have FINALLY turned the corner on Leo's insistence on calling everyone "Poopyhead." Yeah, that was charming. He's suddenly calling us all "Rudolph" now. Which, who knows? But you know what? I'll take it.

In babies news, we’ve moved just past the thirty week mark, in which something definitely clicked. I went from “Pregnant? who's pregnant?, this aint no thing” to OMG there is a big difference between having one and two in there. I suddenly feel like I’m 90 years old and out of breath just walking across the room. Don’t even talk to me about walking up stairs. The other day I had to go to an unfamiliar store in the mall and I actually called ahead to find out where to park (because inevitably, don’t we always park at the opposite end of the mall?). But, really? I mean, it was kind of embarrassing.

On Sunday I was hanging curtains and the room started to spin and everything in my line of sight got very faint and well, let's just say I took to the couch for as much of the day as I could, after that little episode. Onlookers are divided into two camps. There are those who say: Twins? But you're tiny! I can't believe there are two babies in there! [uh, no kidding, me either, still!] Strangely enough, others are starting to give me that "You're Due Any Day Look." Sometimes I just nod and shrug, sometimes I say, well, actually, not until June. Just to see the look of horror in their deer-in-headlight/should I be boiling water? eyes.

As the belly gets bigger, Leo becomes more and more focused on it. Several times a day he throws his arms around the ever expanding (and impossible to ignore) belly and says “I love you babies.”
Leobelly30wks
Leo, in one of his favorite perches, alongside The Belly. Stretch marks? What stretch marks?
And yes, it melts me every time, even when he tries to stick his finger in my (basically now non-existent) belly button.

I have two more weeks of work and I am quietly freaking out. I’m excited to be home, but also, slightly terrified. No matter how many times I do this, I seem to forget that pregnancy moves from glacial (don’t worry! We have tons of time!) to, well, babies!

2 comments:

krlr said...

Meant to comment earlier - LOVE the penguin. My boy's cousins got him hooked on Club Pngn so that's what our birthday theme is this year. Don't know if I'm brave enough to try paper mache with xxx number of kids though (that's a definate NO). Maybe w/just him over a weekend instead - so, y'know, we don't have to paint his toenails instead!

Rog said...

Glad you only have a few more days
of trekking into the city. The mecca of the backyard awaits as spring arrives. It was wonderful talking with you on my special day!