May 24, 2011. Seven days pre-baby. Look at those arm veins. Yeesh, the swelling! My whole right side went puff.
On June 1, I went to a routine OB appointment. My blood pressure was a little high, but it was also about 200 degrees outside and the humidity was about 110 percent. I had a high a risk appointment scheduled for the the afternoon so my OB told me to have my pressure rechecked then.
I had about two hours to kill before my next doctor's appointment. So I did what any hugely pregnant woman would do on a hot summer day. I went to Target. I limped around the aisles, my sciatica screaming. I tried my best to relish my fleeting days of freedom (both Leo and Ellie were in school). I took myself out to lunch at Baja Fresh (doesn't everyone want to visit the salsa bar right before delivery?). But little did I know this would be my last supper.
Three hours later at my high risk appointment, my blood pressure was 190 over something equally bad. After the pressure check, the nurse told me to go back to the waiting room and the doctor would see me in a few minutes. Two minutes later that same nurse leaned over and quietly asked me when I had last eaten. That's when I knew. It was Babies Day.
An hour later, this was me. Waiting for Erin to get to the hospital. Man it was hot. Can you tell? That little room they had me in was a furnace. Or maybe I was the furnace, gestating two humans on a 90+ day. It was all so surreal. Even when you are due to give birth any day I don't think you wake up in the morning believing you will actually, you know, give birth. Sidenote: I can't believe I am posting this picture. I guess it's for posterity or something, but I think I can kiss any political career goodbye.
I made Erin take this one on the way to the delivery room.
And just like that:
Harry aka Hair Bear.
Little Lucy aka Peanut
Well, it wasn't quite "just like that." But it didn't take long.
I just love this picture. Look how happy Erin looks. Even her eyes are smiling. Babies! Two of them!
2 comments:
Has it already been a month? [I know, easy for me to say!]. I love that every hospital in this country uses the same blankets with the little feet & the same little caps. What an emotional trigger they must be for so many moms... Congratulations & happy month birthday.
I just recently discovered your blog. Like Leo, my oldest has DS and is almost 6. I just have two kiddos so I have no idea how you do what you do! You have an absolutely beautiful family! Congratulations on the double bundles of joy and making it thru the first month!
Post a Comment