Thursday, September 15, 2011

Preview

It's dawning on Ellie that the babies are not always going to be babies. I've tried to reinforce this from the beginning, that they are not always going to be such attention leeches. They'll be fun! Interactive! Members! Of! Our! Family! I'm probably overly paranoid about resentment, so intent am I to remind them that this intensive newborn phase is purely temporary.
DSC04435
It's already happening. Lucy gazes at Leo and Ellie like they are the second comings. She is in awe of them, it's clear. Harry does too, but he's not quite as fun and responsive yet, so the big kids tend to fawn all over Lucy, for now.
EllieHarrySleeping711
But back to Ellie's realization that the "babies" will not always be so.

"Leo and Ellie and Lucy and Harry, that's FOUR children," she exclaimed from the back of the mini van the other afternoon (where most of our deepest conversations occur). "That's a lot of people! A lot of children!"

I nodded in agreement. No freaking kidding.
FOUR
"That means there will always be someone to play with!" Ellie continued. "We're going to have so much fun!"

Let's hope!

3 comments:

Cate said...

Aw, Ellie. Sniff.

Norah {Busan and Beyond} said...

Oh, you really are going to have so much fun! I can't wait to see those babies grow up. Should we tell Ellie that someday she will have cousins to play with too? :)

Susan Carson said...

What a beautiful family and yes I think you are going to have a lot of fun!!!