Tuesday, October 1, 2013

31 for 21, 2013, Day One




Grab This Button


I've gone back and forth over whether or not to do "31 for 21" this year (where bloggers post every day in the month of October, which also happens to be Down syndrome Awareness Month, to help raise awareness for Down syndrome).

(I know, world security is hinging on it--odds-makers in Vegas are holding their breath and they are most definitely discussing it in the Situation Room).

Well, you know I'm sentimental. And nearly anyone who knows me will also say that I'm a creature of habit. I've participated in "31 for 21" since 2008. Leo was in preschool! Ellie was a toddler! Harry and Lucy, who?

But back then, I had a lot more to say about Down syndrome. I was only four years into my "journey." In many ways, Down syndrome is an after-thought now. I really don't think much about it all, to be honest.

I feel incredibly corny saying this, but if I can just reach one person...if one person who just received a prenatal diagnosis or found out their newborn baby has Down syndrome and they stumble upon this blog and see that what you might think is your worst nightmare gradually morphs into... a wonderful, incredibly rich, funny, sweet life where Down syndrome becomes one of the last things you think about? Well, that's reason enough to keep this going here. (When my nine-year-old son Leo was diagnosed at birth, I was quite certain that I would never again wake up every morning and not think: MY BABY HAS DOWN SYNDROME).

Do you know what I think about now when I wake up in the morning?

Coffee.
Damn it, those babies wake up early.
What am I going to wear to work?
Coffee.
Is it going to be hot today? What? It's flipping October! Come on now!
Coffee.

Life, it certainly does go on.

So I certainly cannot promise to write 31 days of Down syndrome posts for the rest of this month, but I will write something. Or post a picture. Or maybe both.

Untitled
Leo, age nine, takes on New York City.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad you're joining in again! Yes, it's tradition. And habit. I would feel weird NOT posting every day in Oct!

Unknown said...

I have done posts for it, but I'm not as committed as a HUMAN to do anything like that every day. But my issue isn't because I'm not thinking about Down syndrome these days, it's because I'm thinking about it too much. And not all is positive, and I think that's what they want.

I don't know. Maybe I'll do as you-post a couple of times. Maybe a picture. Maybe all pictures.