Monday, September 29, 2008

The Weekend in Pictures

It rained a lot this weekend. But rain isn't always bad. Because you get to wear these.


And it's official. Ellie has a blankie. She has attached herself to this particular blankie, one of Leo's old ones. I confess I am encouraging this blankie love. I Because I had (OK, still have, you can laugh all you want!) a blankie. I think it's adorable. She sees it and gets all giddy and squeals and throws her round little arms around it.



And check out that belly. I mean, seriously? I just want to get some blue cheese and take a bite out of her.

Sunday we went to DUMBO (a neighborhood in Brooklyn for the non-NYC readers) to see our friend Dora and her family. I forgot to take any pictures during the actual playdate (Dora's mom Penny and I were a little busy wrangling Leo, Dora, Ellie and Dora's three month old sister Bibi) but took this cool shot outside their apartment (oh excuse me, loft). That's the Manhattan Bridge and this image pretty much personifies DUMBO, which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.

It reminds me of those pictures people take of stuffed animals traveling around the world, a shot of a famous landmark and then their little characters thrown in as proof that they were there.

We drove across the Brooklyn Bridge to get to DUMBO and my heart fluttered a bit. I lived in New York off and on for close to ten years and I have to say, I think I will always be impressed by the skyline. Shoot, by the city itself. I've always had a bit of a love affair with the city, an idealized vision of it, even if the closest I ever came to my Woody Allen fantasy of it was a graduate school apartment (pre-war though!) on the upper-upper west side. You can say what you want about New York. It can be a real pain in the ass, but come on, it's New York City. Sometimes I can't believe this girl from Portland, Oregon is now in New York (well, now I'm in New Jersey, but you get the idea).

All in all, a lovely weekend.

No comments: