I've written before about Leo's communication book, a little journal that lives in his backpack, that his teacher and therapists write in when something notable happens. Sometimes it's mundane, a request for more pants if Leo had a potty accident. Sometimes it's distressing: "Leo had a bad morning, he threw up after music and then didn't want to participate in circle time."
Mostly, it's positive: "Leo had a great speech session today, he was able to say "Santa" and "Tree" based on visual cues, without prompting."
But yesterday's note from Leo's teacher, that one was a keeper. It brought tears to my eyes (OK, it doesn't take much, but still).
We had been having a "conversation" about how Leo sometimes wakes up from nap crying and upset. His teacher wanted to know how we handle this at home. Well, back in the good old days when Leo actually napped at home, we would usually either leave him alone and let him have his little tantrum which he would usually snap out of, or we'd cheat and let him watch a little Elmo DVD as a distraction. I wrote to the teacher that I realized she probably couldn't do that.
Here's what she wrote back:
"Leo had a very good day as usual. As you know, we never have any behavior problems from Leo at school. It has only been in the last month and a half that we see the crying episode after he wakes up from nap and it's only for a couple of minutes. And even this is not every day. I think that he sometimes forgets that he has to act like this! (smiley face). Otherwise, he is always a pleasure. As you very well know that he is my bright star!"
Sniff.
Her "bright star"? Nope, I couldn't ask for more than that.
2 comments:
you really couldn't, could you? that's awesome.
See we will have good days. No, great days!
Post a Comment