Well we all survived the first, strange little heat wave of 2009. I kept having to pinch myself that it was April. I also forgot how cranky the heat makes me. I have no problem admitting I am so not a hot weather person. I mean it’s fine if all you have to do is sprawl next to the pool sipping margaritas or something, but life isn’t quite like that right now.
On a positive note, this summer, with a confidently mobile Ellie is going to be fun! Last summer she was still crawling and then started walking right around her first birthday (July) but even after that she was not “sturdy,” so there was lots of hovering around her, making sure she didn’t wipe out on the deck stair or tumble off the slide. Now, I can just deposit her and her brother in the backyard and be on my merry way! OK not exactly, but it’s a lot more relaxing. Oh, except for the CONSTANT FIGHTING OVER OUTSIDE TOYS.
I try not to let that bother me too much. And did I mention how refreshing white wine is in the heat?
And all those perennials I planted last year? The ones the damn dog did her best to destroy (to punish us for not walking her enough, she’s a smarty, that Ruby), THEY’RE COMING BACK! In little fits and starts and in some cases, pathetically, but there are definite signs of life. It warms my heart, as I’d written the yard off this year. Not enough time or money and with the dog and her destructive tendencies I felt like I’d be better off just burning a pile of cash than replacing all the plants she dug up last year. I’ll post some pictures when there is something worth showing.
In other exciting suburban news, we bought a push mower, which I’m quite excited about. We had to let the “gardener” go (thanks daycare price hike) so we’re going DIY. I have to say I’m not going to miss that infernal leaf blower the gardener used and I feel nice and “green” not using a gas mower. And I’m not just saying this because Erin is going to have to do all the work (I promise I’ll mow too Honey!).
To recap from last week, the doctor asked me a ton of questions and took a lot of blood. I’m supposed to get the results back today. He thinks my tiredness is related to “lifestyle,” (you know all the boozing and partying I do—why does lifestyle have a sort of seedy connotation?). Since I put the blame on my so called lifestyle squarely on my children, I joked with the doctor that perhaps I should consider getting rid of the kids.
“At the very least, you should drug them,” he answered.
I have to love a doctor with a sense of humor.
After my appointment I cut across Central Park to the West Side, where I catch my bus. I wish I’d had my camera. It was one of those quintessential New York spring days (if you’ve ever lived here you know that spring is about four days long and it’s not uncommon to go from cold and rain to unforgiving 90 degree humidity: Hi summer!). Needless to say, we appreciate our often short lived spring.
On Friday, the cherry blossoms were exploding, the tulips dancing, the row boats in the lake were bumper to bumper while there was a line for the motorized sail boats, which glided across the water like little ballerinas. There were baby strollers and nannies and mommys and giggling toddlers as far as the eye could see. But by far my favorite “snapshot” was the giant golden retriever sitting next to his “mom” on a bench, like he was person, or more like a regal king, admiring his kingdom.
The whole park seemed to be bathed in an ethereal, other worldly, perfect Manhattan- Woody Allenesque glow. Like I said, a camera was needed and pictures would have been worth a thousand words so I’ll shut up about it now. I’ll just say it was one of those days where it felt worth it, to put up with all the hassle--the grumpy, shoving people, the honking horns, the odiferous, crowded sidewalks--just to be in this glorious city. It can truly be a pain in the ass, but also: amazing.
4 comments:
We're having a "hovering around the toddler" summer, for sure. I'm doing such a great job at this that Cal has two skinned knees to show for it. And I promise it's not because white wine is so refreshing, either. :)
I have never lived in New York, but I have visited there numerous times during the summer, and if there is a hotter place on earth, I've never been to it. Oy vey. I don't know how you stand it. And I'm from the South!
One of the reasons I love living in the woods? No lawn mowing. Have fun with that.
I just reread my comment. Number of times I said "I" or "I'm"? Eight. Just in case you're counting. I promise I'm not that self-centered in real life.
Okay, now make that twelve.
1. I loved your picture words!
2. We have a push mower and love it.
3. mmmm margaritas mmmmm white wine
4. I don't think Jen's self-centered in fake life, either.
that description was even better than a picture! thank you. for a while (til he went to rehab, seriously) we had a guy reviewing dive bars for us, the column was called "booze pig," and i always told him that reading his column was even better than actually going out to a dive bar. ditto for your description.
and jen, that cracked me up. i often count the number of times i start paragraphs with "i" but i'm too afraid to count the total times.
Post a Comment