Friday, October 23, 2009

Big Foot in Training and a Day Off

I had the day off today. But a day off is really a day on for me, in that I'm able to get all the things done that I can't do when I'm, you know, working.

I did get to spend two luxurious, blissful, decadent hours at Target, All. By. Myself. Really to me this is a birthday and Hanukkah and Christmas, all wrapped into one, even when all I did was buy thrilling things like paper towels and toilet paper and Pull-ups. Trust me though, it was sheer heaven.

Then it was on to Costco for even more exciting things like milk and cheese and bananas and seltzer and that ever important half and half (for weekend coffee). THEY always get up early on the weekends, it's as if they are AGAINST us or something. So I must steel myself and be prepared and coffee is the best and least I can do.

Finally, it was home to unpack the disaster of a car and squeeze in one (of the hundreds, it's seems) of the backlogged DVRed shows--so much for my grand plans about fall TV, turns out I'm hopelessly behind on everything--Top Chef, Project Runway, Glee...don't even get me started on this sad topic. How will I ever catch up?

There was other stuff too. Laundry, then putting away last week's clean laundry, vacuuming, loading the dishwasher, baking soda-ing the kitchen sink, de-dog pooping the backyard (See, I told you it was exciting!).

And then before I knew it was 3:30 and time to fetch Ellie to go get her flu shot.  I know! Do the fascinating tasks EVER end? The sweet little girl was so brave. She didn't shed one tear for the shot, but limped dramatically out of the pediatrician's office, saying in a pathetic, small voice, "I got foo shot. I have owey."

We circled back to get Leo (I avoid taking two to the ped's office if I can help it). The final stop of the day was Nordstrom, to get new shoes for Ellie. You can say what you want about Nordstrom but I happen to think they have the best shoe department for kids. Or maybe it's just because that's where my mom took me. In any case, they give out balloons, so there's that. Leo was so exhausted by the time we touched down at the mall that balloons were my only hope.

We settled on these and believe it or not they were almost $30 CHEAPER at Nordstrom (than online). I know! When's the last time you uttered that sentence?

But. Ellie, the poor girl, at age 2.3, is...a size nine. Kind of shocking, to me at least. Her foot girth only means one thing. That she is following in the footsteps of my horrifically large feet. And so I pity her. And hope that at the very least she is prepared for the shoe woe that she will face her entire life. When you're fourteen and you ask to see a cute flat (that's displayed as a 5 1/2), it's not so cute when it comes out in a size 11. Just trust me on that one.

So, I'm sorry Ellie. I'm sorry in advance for your large feet.

And I still can't get over the fact that Ellie outgrows her shoes in three months, whereas Leo can wear the same size for a year. I swear his shoes wear out before he outgrows them. To this I can only say, thanks Down syndrome and your accompanying tendency for slow growth! You are saving us TONS of money!

Oh and also? Ellie is quickly closing in on Leo, who at age five wears a sizw 10 1/2. Scary.

We came and had apple juice and milk and wine (you can guess who had what). I made dinner (not from a box or frozen, but this), along with sauteed tofu with my aunt's amazing seasoning mix. It was lovely, if I do say so.

Really, the whole day was lovely. I had a great day "off."

2 comments:

amy Silverman said...

i have always wanted big feet! in fact, sometimes i buy shoes that are too big so my feet look bigger (like the ones i have on right now -- i only tripped over them once today). the grass is always greener at the end of someone else's leg, i suppose. or i'm overtired.

After Words said...

My daughter's 28 months and wears a size 9.5--extra wide. The poor thing.

Yum, those noodles look good.