
I think this is pretty great.
I read it this morning, hot tears streaming down my cheeks, for reasons I can't go into right now.
It's been a hard week. Something is up with Ellie. She has a cold or is coming down with something. She's whiny from the moment I pick her up, to the moment she passes out, which for every night this week, has been at about 10 p.m. She tries my patience like no one I have ever known (even Leo!) and my frustration is often tinged with guilt. She wants macaroni and cheese now! She doesn't want that kind of macaroni and cheese! It's too hot! She wants her new library book! She doesn't want her library book on her bed!
And oh is our girl emotional. Yesterday morning, after Leo boarded his bus and I drove Ellie to preschool, she asked me where Leo was (though she knew full well). I watched her consider the morning's events, through the rear view mirror, and then she announced quietly: "When Leo goes, I make tears."
Is she needy because she misses me? Is she like this because she doesn't see me all day? Is she starved for attention? Or is she just plain tired? Probably a combination of all of that. I try to make up for everything on the weekends (letting her sleep in, when possible, extra cuddles, plenty of down time) but that only goes so far. Or is this just what it feels like to be three years and four months old? How can I not give her "just another hug." One more kiss. More back rubs. There are never enough back rubs.
So yes, we are all just a bit exhausted. But I know these moments are fleeting. These too, shall pass.
Meanwhile, Leo has had a wonderful week. He's been talkative and agreeable and helpful and although I'm afraid to even say it out loud, the new car seats seem to be working out quite well. I haven't had a "get in the van" meltdown once this week!
And in the mornings, before the sun comes up, I wake to Leo's warm little body squeezed up against mine. In his sleep he is more cuddly than he is awake. He rests his little baseball mit palm on my side and breathes quietly, serenly. Gone are the days of his torturously restless sleeping habits: the epileptic octopus sleeper is officially no more. He's now a sweet little bed companion. And when he wakes and sees Erin and me both there he breaks into one of his trademark grins, wraps his arms around our necks and declares "Whole Family!"
***
Often, the comments section for little pieces like the one I posted above are not worth reading, but there were a few gems in there, for sure. A few bear repeating, especially for me, this week.
“Honey, I have three sons – all grown. All I can say is I really wish I would have yelled less and drank more.”--Tabatha
"What I’ve learned: My five don’t remember the countless healthy, home cooked meals that I have spent years of my life planning and cooking, but they all still whisper fondly of the night mom was so sick that all she could do was dump a box of Lucky Charms in a large mixing bowl, pour in the milk and hand them their own spoon and told them to dive in!"--Kristi
"I’ve learned that sleep is overrated (also coveted, but still overrated). When my youngest is a surly teenager, I’ll wish he still wanted to wake me up at 5 a.m. to cuddle and talk to me about superheroes."--Lylah
"My biggest lesson is learning to move on. I’ve made mistakes. I’ll make more. I can’t dwell on them. I can learn from them, hope my children learn from them, and move on to the next thing."--Jules
"Just try to remember…little people, little problems, big people, big problems. What seems insurmountable today, will be nothing in a few years."--Dianne
"Apologize. Teach them that no one is perfect, not even parents."--Keyona
"My mother in law told me this once and I always try to remember it whenever I get OCD about cleaning my house:
'Your children will not remember how clean your kitchen floor was when they are older, they will remember the time you spent with them when you wanted to clean the kitchen floor.'"--Random Chick
"No matter how tired I am, or how much I don’t want to, if they ask for another good night kiss, to read a story, sing a song, play a game, sit in my lap, “help” me with something, I always say yes. Because I never know if this will be the last time they ask.Hearing you are loved by your parents is something you never outgrow, even if you act like you don’t care."--Sarah
Amen.
1 comment:
Just when I was having November withdrawals from your posts - this post saved me and its message was right on target! I totally need this today, having had a morning with a very cranky toddler who was nearly listed on Craig’s List as "Free to a good home!" So as always, thank you for your impeccable timing and your words of wisdom!
Post a Comment