Sunday, October 9, 2011

One is the New None and Some Updates

photo
More pictures having nothing to do with my post. Just gratuitous, blurry cuteness.

It occurred to me today, as I took Ellie on a little trip to Target while Erin stayed home with Leo and the babes, that going out with one kid is the new none. That is to say, time was, back in those lazy, self-indulgent (ha ha) days of just two kids, it was no big deal to say "honey I'm gonna run to Target" and leave the two hooligans. And it is still not such a big deal if one of us is left with all four. It's just not, shall we say, relaxing. In any possible way. And so, one is the new none. Taking one chatty, curious and dare I say agreeable four-year-old to Target? Well it's a downright vacation. It felt strange to be able to just walk away from the cart and not worry about it (you know, since it wasn't the stroller carrying two tiny human beings that I'm so accustomed to having with me on nearly every outing).

A few other thoughts:

-Ellie is in love with Halloween. I'm not sure what she's more excited about, the decorations, the costumes or the forthcoming candy. Last week I bribed her with taking a walk with the promise that we would spot Halloween decorations. We did, though there were some that were "too scary." She had to look away.

-Leo and Ellie's Halloween costume choices have been secured. No I'm not telling! You'll just have to stay tuned. Let's just say Ellie and I scored the perfect accessories for her costume on Friday. Leo came home from school and promptly announced he wanted to be the male version of what Ellie is going to be which is fine, but of course I have to go back to tall the stores where I purchased Ellie's accessories. I should have known.

-Leo is starting private speech therapy this week. Last week Leo had his formal evaluation and the speech therapist was very complimentary, declaring his expressive language exceptional. She predicted he'll probably score at about the level of a fourteen year old (!). Now, to work on being more understood. I'm excited and hopeful. I can't say the same about hauling all four to said speech therapy sessions, but there you go. He's also being re-evaluated at school (to make sure he's getting the right amount of therapy, that his placement is appropriate). I'm not expecting any surprises there but it should prove interesting.
photo
-The babies are four months old (and nine days) old. They are smiling and laughing and generally just downright ridiculously adorable. I mean honestly, can you think of a more wonderful sound in the history of the universe than a giggling baby? They are more and more interactive with us and the world around them every day. It's refreshing to not be nursing them constantly anymore. They are true, little people. Now if they fuss I can ask one of the big kids to read them a book or (Ellie's specialty) sing them a song and this will almost always entertain them for a few minutes. Lastly, it's reassuring to know if we run out of food, we always have those thighs (see above).

2 comments:

Norah {Busan and Beyond} said...

Oh this is so sweet! I still can't believe that you really have twins! I love that Leo is doing so well and I can't wait to see their Halloween costumes!!

Lisa (and David) said...

omg - One is SOOOOO the new 'none' - I hear you! the anticipation on the costumes is killin me. give us a hint :)