Saturday afternoon, sipping lemonade against the backdrop of the tall ships lining the Mystic River, the soundtrack of our children laughing as they ran up and down the grassy fields (we played the "Let's tire them out game"--aka who can run the fastest--works every time).
This weekend was the annual trip to Mystic. It always feels like the kick off to our summer.
You may recall this photo from last year.
No, that's not a beluga whale in between Leo and Ellie, that's just me, bloated and swollen and pregnant with twins. Yes, things looked a little different last year. I remember looking at that picture and thinking: Technically, there are five people in this picture. Next year we'll come back here with two babies.
And here they are. The missing two, on the outside now, here to enjoy the aquarium and our little patch of "Heaven" (yes, I realize they don't look all that thrilled to be there--you'll have to trust me--they did have a good time.)
That's more like it. Thanks Harry. (Lucy's pondering something: her next escape, perhaps?)
We spent a wonderful afternoon by the river, the babies on a blanket, getting their shakes out after the long drive. Here Lucy demonstrates her newest favorite trick: Climb whatever obstacle is in front of her. There was a time when a setting like this, the bank of a river, would have given me palpitations, in relation to Leo. But he's in such a great place right now. I really see him maturing in wonderful ways. He's listening better, mellowing out.
Lobster rolls and macaroni and cheese (I'll give you two guesses as to who ate what) by the river at Abbot's. Everyone looks so giant to me here. The babies are clearly still babies but in my mind I often think, We have two kids and two babies. But I look at this picture and it's very clear: There are four of them. I also think: How did we get all these kids?
It always seems like going away (even for one night) is so much work but every time we do it (whether it's going away for a weekend or spending six days in Disney World) I'm always so glad we did it. I can't believe I'm saying this but it was actually more fun with the babies (except for the sleep part--Harry and hotel rooms still don't mix but we all know sleep is overrated).
Another highlight of the trip for me was a Sunday morning swim with just Leo and Ellie. Ellie adores a hotel pool--I'm pretty sure she would have chosen the pool over the aquarium--lucky for us we got to do both. It's just so different now that they are these big kids who know how to swim. It's-dare I say it-relaxing to be with them. We laughed and threw a foot ball. At one point Leo and Ellie were in the pool and I snuck over to the hot tub--of course I was watching them but I didn't need to hover. And of course no one was happy with me in the hot tub and I was ordered to get back in the pool to throw the football to Leo in a matter of minutes.
By the way, pool, then hot tub, then pool? Big Mistake.
3 comments:
OMG - these pictures and story are great....we have a house in Westerly and frequent that area alot too. Abotts - YUMMO! Thanks for sharing your story. You have a beautiful family and what a great (weather)weekend it was!
I love the before and after pics. What a change your life has taken :) You look so happy and the kids look adorable. I'm glad you had such a nice trip!
Your face is utter contentedness. And the kids! All so big! Happy for you:)
Post a Comment