Ellie has a new caregiver at daycare-her beloved Ms. M. went back to work at the bank. I’ve been trying to get to know the new woman in Ellie’s room, nothing big, I've just been a little extra chatty with her in the morning. We were deep into a nice little conversation about what a good eater Ellie is (her words, not mine—I would agree she is game to try lots of things but at home she has a very short attention span with the kitchen table, she is the queen of up, down up, down and rarely finishes a meal).
But you know how kids are. There’s your kid and there’s the school version. Ellie’s school version sits calmly and quietly in her high chair while at home she kneels at the kitchen table and picks at her food, turns around and says "Hi Walter!" (our new goldfish) about a dozen times and drops her bottle about seventeen times.
So there was talk of her “good eating,” and how well she does with her utensils (the best in the class, according to Ms. M.)
And then, a little voice:
“Bye Mommy.”
And then a sheepish little grin.
I think someone was trying to tell me something. Yea yea Mommy, don’t you have to go to work or something? Don’t you know this is my time?
Can you beat that?
In other news, the daycare had school pictures this week. Leo’s preschool was on spring break so he's been at daycare full-time and was able to be photographed with Ellie for the “sibling portraits.” I’m curious to see how these turn out since Leo’s pictures from preschool were taken at the height of Leo’s "Bubba" (aka the accidentally very shaved head) look.
I know, I know, these school “portraits” rarely turn out well but I am a sucker for them—if they’re bad they are campy and if they’re good, well so be it. Also, my mom never wanted to get them and I think I am making up for it now-my kids will have every school year formally documented, dammit!
Anyway, Leo is now sporting a bit of a hipster ‘do (with product, of course) and I am loving it. I'm his mommy, so I can say this unapologetically: Leo has always had gorgeous hair. (Seriously when he was a baby and it was more strawberry blonde I had women stop me on the street and jokingly ask what number dye he uses so they can replicate it at the beauty parlor)
So, all reports are that Leo and Ellie were the best behaved pair during the photo sessions, the best listeners (especially Leo!) and that Leo was hugging and kissing on Ellie the whole time, melting hearts across the tri-state area. I so love it when the words “Leo” and “best behaved” appear in the same sentence.
Lastly, and completely unrelated to any of this, Leo starts Taekwondo next week. I can't wait.
1 comment:
I spent much of yesterday role playing -- I had to "be" Ms. X in order to get Sophie to do anything. AND she often yells at me IN FRONT OF OTHERS to "go to your office". So as usual, I relate. That said, I do hear that she asks for me all the time when I'm not around. I can't win.
Hope the solo Costco trip and weekend in general were good!
Post a Comment