Friday, April 10, 2009

I Swore I Wouldn’t Go Here But…

I swore I wouldn’t get all potty training on you guys (so boring! Unless you’re doing it!) but I need some help. Ellie is showing a real interest in the potty again. She did this a few months ago but it didn’t go anywhere and I didn’t try too hard. But she suddenly hates wearing a diaper, putting it on her you’d swear I doused it in sulfuric acid or something. She’s ok once I get it on her but she loves not wearing it. Last night after dinner she was tugging at her diaper and I asked her if she had to go potty (well in our house it’s called a “Boppy”-Ellie’s word for it-don’t ask me). A few minutes later I heard Ellie saying “Uh oh, uh oh.” Upon inspection I saw that she had pooped ON the potty (the Fisher Price potty with the lid), that is, on the lid. By the way, why is there a lid on that potty? Really?

All this comes down to my question: I’ve heard from a few people to skip the Pull-ups altogether and go right to thick undies with a plastic cover over them. It’s said that they can’t feel when they’ve “gone” in the Pull-ups. I just don’t know. She seems so little but she also seems interested. I don’t want to miss a window if it’s there but I also don’t want to force it. I’ve also heard to potty train you’re supposed to like, stop your life for a weekend and not go anywhere and just potty potty potty.

Enough on that scintillating topic. I am boring even myself. But I’d love to hear any wisdom if you have some. And while I’m talking potty, I’m excited to report that Leo has started standing up to pee! A big day for our little man. As I type this I cringe to think of the time that he finds out I told the whole world about this day. I’m apologizing to your right now Leo, but I am so proud of you.

4 comments:

Jen said...

We had to skip pull-ups with Eli because he was smart enough to figure out that it was okay to pee in them. He'd do great when he was in underwear, but as soon as you'd put a pull-up on him (and by "you" I mean the lazy people at his daycare) he'd go in it.

I'm working on potty-training with Evan this week. So far, so good, I guess. I can't imagine him being old enough or big enough or skilled enough to pee standing up though. Good stuff, Leo! (even if it's embarrassing you!)

Jen said...

Oh, and no pull-ups with Evan. He basically has no butt whatsoever so they fall right off.

suz said...

I used pull-ups and my daughter treated them just like a diaper. We use underwear and the gerber waterproof training pants. They aren't perfect - they are bulky, but they do a good job of containing accidents (unless it's a real soaker) and the child can still feel that they are wet. Here's a link for the training pants. We got them at Target - they are in the baby aisle where they have littler baby stuff like onesies.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=huc_ja_1_txt/179-3195241-9031555?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00182BXVO&nodeID=&merchantID=A1VC38T7YXB528

Unknown said...

hmm. i wish i had better advice, except to say the best thing you can do is be zen about it. it will happen. i freaked out about annabelle -- she was a late potty trainer, even had to be held back in pre-school (damn the pre-school, that was idiotic), but once she was trained, that was it. i think you need to let ellie guide you. let her wear what she wants to wear (well, you know, as long as it's not a thong) and go in the potty she wants to go in (we had issues with training potty vs. full-sized)and before you know it, tada!

and as for leo, he should only be embarrassed if you told the world he was NOT standing up to pee.

someday i'll tell you about my friend who once announced at a dinner party at her home that no men are allowed to pee standing up in her bathroom, for fear they'll dribble. whoops, i just told you. suffice to say, ray will not go back to her house again.