Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Fish Makes Progress

leoleaves
Leo today, "helping" me rake. This boy could eat a Popsicle outside in January, I swear (and mark my words, he'll try to).

Leo did SO well at swim class today. I haven't talked about it much here because, well, it's been a little rough at times. It's his first "independent" class in that there is no Mama or Mommy in the pool. Leo is a fish and LOVES the water but I think it's been a little shocking to him to be in there without one of us. Also? They work him hard in this class. He swims the length of the pool and uses a tiny floating noodle for support which means he's essentially treading water for forty-five minutes. But every single veteran mom I've talked to at this particular class says her child has learned to swim here so hey, that's good enough for me.

The class is for kids with special needs and each child is assigned a 1:1 aide. The last two classes he's had wonderful aides (they're all volunteers). Today he was paired with a father-daughter team which Leo adored. Have I mentioned he seems to have a thing for teenage girls? He hugged and kissed (or at least tried to) Miss Alexandra at the end of the class.

I watch Leo the whole time through a little room off the pool. I actually think it's the lifeguard lounge but no one has said a word about it being a problem. I have to, otherwise Leo will see me sitting on the sidelines and either cry or try to escape to me. But if I'm not there? Out of sight out of mind, it seems (though I'm sure that's not really the case).

Leo does better each week and today, did great the first thirty minutes. After that, I honestly think he just got tired (it's technically an hour class but once everyone gets in the pool it's really more like forty-five minutes, still pretty long for a six year old though, when you think about it). So after those thirty minutes in the pool today he did what he's prone to do, which is climb out of the water, sit on the edge with his arms firmly crossed and a stubborn "No way I'm DONE" look about him.

His aide today, Leon's dad (another member of the Club 47) was pitch perfect with Leo. I watched as he talked to him (couldn't hear what he was saying but there was obvious negotiation going on). Leo still shook his head and adamant NO. Then Leon's dad pointed to the rainbow striped beach ball that was bobbing by and Leo's eyes lit up. Yesss. Now we were back in business and Leo slid effortlessly back in the pool. They then proceeded to practice swimming toward the ball and Leo dog paddled toward it and it was all kinds of wonderful.

After class I thanked Leon's dad profusely and commented on how amazing he was with Leo.

"Oh I have a bit of experience with the stubbornness," he laughed, giving me a knowing look.

Sometimes? Sometimes it's just such a relief to be around people who GET IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally! Have I told you how great your new blog look is?